I promised a few friends I would explain how we went about getting rid of just about all our belongings. We only had about two and a half months to do so: trying to strike a balance between efficiency and getting some cash. A large chunk of this cash was used to get all the paperwork, visas, passports, etc that we need.
- Post all our books and DVDs on half.com .
- eBay anything that will get the highest price on Ebay. These items include: Magic Bullet food processor, PS2, Nike items, Snow boots, name brand baby items, etc.
- Two massive garage sales.
- Sell our furniture and appliances. We sold 90% of our large items by posting simply pictures on Facebook with comments and pricing.
- Don’t cook in July. Strategy: sell and trade things to friends leading up to our last month in the country in exchange for a meal. To date, we have over half our meals in July provided by friends who traded those meals for an item at our sale. This is especially great since we will have little to no appliances or dishes within three weeks of moving out.
- A third and final garage sale of the last big items.
- Itemize & donate everything that doesn’t sell, donate it and list every single item. This will help us file our taxes for 2011.
We move out of our apartment in 8 1/2 days. It will be the first time I don’t have to actually move things out! We are moving in with some friends for the unknown time frame between move-out and leaving the country.
And, no, we don’t know our exact moving dates, yet. We know that James leaves in August 🙂